1) Poor visibility in Top 3 search results for Postpaid, Prepaid and DTH related keywords
Airtel had very good presence and authority in the telecom sector. It was appearing in top 10 search results for a huge number of industry related terms and keywords, but it was not visible in the top 3 results for most of these terms. Other key players, like Vodafone and Idea Cellular were dominating the Top 3 search results for Postpaid and Prepaid products and plans. Whereas, the new entrant Jio, dominated in prepaid related searches.
For DTH, Airtel had decent presence and appeared for a number of keywords in top 10 search results. However, competitors like Dish TV, Tata Sky and Videocon and some smaller providers like DEN, captured top 3 search results for many of the keywords.
2) Low rankings for Local Keywords for Broadband and Postpaid Lines of Business (LOB)
For Broadband the presence was there in top results, but a lot of local and regional service providers like DEN, Broadway, Hathway, etc. appeared more for generic queries in different regions and completely dominated the top 3 or top 10 results in some cases, for local or regional queries.
There were similar issues with Local keywords for Postpaid.
To get maximum keywords in top 3 search results
We pulled out a list of over 2000 keywords across all 4 Products - Postpaid, Prepaid, Broadband and DTH. We divided the keywords into 3 buckets and worked on different strategies for each:
For Bucket 1: Keywords ranking in Top 10 Results
1. We identified all keywords in Top 10 whose CTR was less than the average CTR for all keywords in the bucket. And worked on optimizing the meta titles to improve the CTR.
2. Optimized on-page SEO elements and improved content for all the target landing pages.
For Bucket 2& 3: Keywords ranking between 11-20 Results and beyond Top 20 Results
3. In addition to the on-page changes mentioned above, we also did aggressive link building to improve authority and popularity of the landing pages on which these keywords were targeted. We obtained a healthy mix of high authority links and high-quality theme-based links.
4. Worked with the Development team to improve page speed of all the target landing pages.
To improve performance of Local Keywords
Top 3 Rankings
We managed to drive an unprecedented 2100+Keywords into Top 3 position, across all 4 products, over the 12 month engagement. Only 255 keywords were in Top 3 when we started in January ’17.
|Product||Top 3 Rankings||Jan '17||Apr '17||Aug '17||Dec '17|
|Postpaid||Keywords in Top 3||144||1270||1327||1523|
|Prepaid||Keywords in Top 3||0||94||146||175|
|Broadband||Keywords in Top 3||111||149||217||245|
|DTH||Keywords in Top 3||0||0||81||161|
|Total||Keywords in Top 3||255||1513||1771||2104|
For Performance of Local Keywords - Postpaid and Broadband
We managed to rank 100% of target keywords in top 10 search results i.e. over 1000 Local keywords across all target locations/cities/circles across the 2 products. This translated to a whopping 3500%increase in traffic from local queries.
NOTE: The absolute numbers are indexed, with Mar. ‘17 set equal to 2 for Organic Traffic on local pages, to facilitate the comparison of growth.
NOTE: The absolute numbers are indexed, with Mar. ‘17 set equal to 1 for Organic Traffic on Local Pages, to facilitate the comparison of growth.