How Many Main Pillars of Digital Marketing Are There?
Today, Digital marketing is holding almost every business out there, but what is holding digital marketing?
Four sturdy pillars.
Simply put, these four pillars serve as the foundation for digital marketing. And if you want to make digital marketing for your brand, you must learn about them and their significance.
Four Main Pillars of Digital Marketing Are –
||Blog posts, eBooks, infographics, white paper, videos, webinars, etc.
||Create valuable and relevant content, conduct keyword research
||On-page optimization, off-page SEO, technical SEO, local SEO, etc.
||On-page optimization, link building, content marketing
|Social Media Marketing
||Organic Content Creation, Paid Marketing, Influencer Marketing, etc.
||Identify target audience, choose social media channels, create engaging content
||Google Ads, Facebook Ads, display ads, etc.
||Target the right audience, set appropriate bids, set accurate success metrics, etc.
Deep-Dive Into the Four Main Pillars of Digital Marketing:
Now that you’re aware of the four digital marketing pillars, let’s understand what they are, their importance, examples, etc.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO):
Search Engine Optimization is the practice of optimizing websites and online content to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs) and gain more organic traffic. This involves selecting the right keywords, optimizing on-page elements, building high-quality, helpful content, earning natural backlinks, and improving the user experience.’
Why SEO is the One of the Main Pillars of Digital Marketing –
According to a study by BrightEdge, organic search drives 53% of website traffic, making SEO a crucial component of any digital marketing strategy.
Google is the most frequently used search engine worldwide.
Top SEO Platform –
Success Metrics or KPIs –
Website Traffic, Pageviews, Bounce Rate, Time Spent on Page, Clicks, Conversion Rate.
EXAMPLE: Let’s consider a local bakery aiming to attract more customers through online channels. By implementing effective SEO strategies, such as optimizing their website for relevant keywords like “freshly baked pastries” and “artisan bread,” the bakery can improve its search engine rankings, making it more likely for potential customers to discover them when searching for bakery products in their area.
Content marketing revolves around creating valuable, relevant, and engaging content and, most importantly, disseminating it through the right channel to attract and engage the right audiences. By consistently producing and marketing high-quality content assets, businesses can establish thought leadership, build brand authority, and nurture relationships with their audience. That’s how much website content is important today.
But you need to have an accurate understanding of Content marketing, as each type of content asset relates and interacts with the target audience accordingly. Keeping that in mind, content marketing can be divided into three Stages TOFU, MOFU, and BOFU –
- TOFU (Top of Funnel): In the TOFU stage, the focus is on creating content that raises awareness and captures the attention of a wide audience. This can include creating blog posts, social media content, infographics, videos, or any form of content that educates and entertains potential customers.
- MOFU (Middle of Funnel): In the MOFU stage, the goal is to nurture the leads or interested potential customers and provide more targeted content that addresses their specific needs or interests and guides them through the consideration phase. This can include producing in-depth guides, case studies, webinars, or email newsletters.
- BOFU (Bottom of Funnel): In the BOFU stage, the focus is on converting leads into customers. The content at this stage should be more sales-oriented and persuasive. This can include sharing product demonstration videos, free trial offers, customer testimonials, or comparison guides. The goal is to provide the final push and convince leads to make a purchase or take the desired action.
Why Content is One of the Main Pillars of Digital Marketing –
Content marketing can generate over three times as many leads as outbound marketing and costs 62% less, according to a Content Marketing Institute report.
Top Content Marketing Platforms –
Website/blog, Email newsletters, Ebooks, Social media groups, Infographics, Video, Earned Media Channels, Guest blogging, Press releases, QA Platforms, Online platforms, Podcasts, Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, Paid influencer marketing, Sponsored content.
Success Metrics or KPIs-
Website Traffic, Pageviews, Bounce Rate, Time on Page, Click, Conversion Rate.
EXAMPLE: Take the example of a digital marketing agency looking to leverage content marketing for their objectives.
||Awareness and Education
- Blog articles on digital trends, industry benchmarks, etc.
- Infographics explaining industry statistics or highlighting the importance of marketing
- Explainer videos on various digital marketing topics
- Guides or eBooks on digital marketing best practices, industry insights, etc.
||Engagement and Nurturing
- Webinars or online workshops
- White Papers diving into industry research and analysis
||Conversion and Sales
- Testimonials and success stories from satisfied clients
- Free consultations or audits for potential clients
- Case studies showcasing the delivered results
- Customizable proposals and pricing guides
- Corporate presentations
Social Media Marketing:
Social media has become an integral part of people’s lives, making it one of the pillars of digital marketing. Social media marketing not only involves creating compelling content, engaging with users, running targeted ad campaigns, but also monitoring analytics to drive brand awareness, engagement, and conversions.
Why Social Media Marketing is the One of the Main Pillars of Digital Marketing –
The average person spends around 2 hours and 28 minutes per day on social media, making it a powerful tool for businesses to connect with their target audience.
Top Social Media Marketing Platform –
Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Reddit, Snapchat, Tumblr, TikTok.
Success Metrics or KPIs:
Engagement rate, Reach, Cost per click (CPC), Return on investment (ROI), Brand sentiment,
Followers and Fans, Customer acquisition rate, Social media referrals etc.
EXAMPLE: Consider a fashion retailer aiming to expand its online presence and attract a younger demographic. By leveraging platforms like Instagram and TikTok, the retailer can showcase its latest fashion collections through visually appealing posts, collaborate with influencers, and run sponsored ads to reach and engage fashion-savvy individuals.
Pay-Per-Click Advertising (PPC):
PPC advertising provides a targeted approach to reach potential customers. It can be highly effective in driving traffic and conversions fairly quickly.
Why PPC is the One of the Main Pillars of Digital Marketing –
Google Ads dominates the PPC advertising space, with over 90% of the market share. Pay-Per-Click advertising allows businesses to display ads on different search engines (Google, Bing) and other platforms (YouTube ads, Display ads, Amazon ads), paying only when users click on the ads.
Top PPC ads Platform –
Google Ads , Facebook Ads (now known as Meta Ads), Instagram Ads (a part of Facebook Ads), Microsoft Ads (formerly Bing Ads), LinkedIn Ads, Twitter Ads, Pinterest Ads, YouTube ads (a part of Google Ads), TikTok For Business, Snapchat For Business
Success Metrics or KPIs –
Click-Through Rate (CTR), Cost per Click (CPC), Conversion Rate (CR), Return on Ad Spend (ROAS), Cost per Acquisition (CPA), Impressions, Engagement.
EXAMPLE: For example, a software-as-a-service (SaaS) company offering project management tools can use PPC advertising to target keywords like “best project management software” and “project management tools for remote teams.” By bidding on these keywords, the company’s ads will appear prominently in search engine results, increasing the likelihood of attracting potential customers actively searching for such solutions.
Significance of the Main Pillars in Today’s Time:
In today’s competitive digital landscape, the main pillars of digital marketing hold significant importance. Here are a few reasons why:
- Increased Online Competition: As more businesses embrace digital marketing, the competition for online visibility and customer attention intensifies. Understanding and effectively utilizing the main pillars of digital marketing can give businesses a competitive edge in reaching and engaging their target audience.
- Evolving Consumer Behavior: Consumer behavior has significantly shifted towards digital channels, with more people relying on the internet to research, shop, and connect with brands. Businesses that leverage the digital marketing platforms can effectively reach and connect with their audience.
- Diverse Marketing Opportunities: The main pillars of digital marketing offer a wide range of marketing opportunities for businesses of all sizes and industries. Whether it’s optimizing website content for search engines, creating compelling social media campaigns, or running targeted PPC ads, these pillars provide versatile avenues to connect with potential customers and achieve marketing objectives.
Effective Utilization of the Main Pillars:
To make the most of the main pillars of digital marketing, marketers should consider the following strategies:
- Integrate the Pillars: Instead of treating each pillar as a standalone entity, businesses should integrate them to work in tandem.. Combining SEO, content marketing, social media marketing, and PPC advertising creates a comprehensive approach that maximizes the impact of each pillar.
- Research The Target Audience: You must research thoroughly on your audience’s preferences, behaviors, and demographics, etc, to tailor your digital marketing efforts and deliver personalized and relevant experiences.
- Consistency and Quality: Consistently is the key across all pillars. Each content asset you create, campaign you run, or strategy you make, should be consistent. You should strive to provide valuable information and maintain a consistent brand voice and identity.
These four pillars of digital marketing are essential components that shape successful digital marketing strategies. By leveraging SEO, content marketing, social media marketing, and PPC advertising effectively, marketers can establish a strong online presence, reach their target audience, and drive meaningful results in today’s competitive digital landscape.
To leverage the power of the four pillars of digital, contact Techmagnate for digital marketing services.