Amazon Marketing Guide: Definition, Benefits, and Amazon Marketing Strategy Tips
As of March 2021, the total number of Amazon’s unique users stands at a whopping 150.6 million – pointing to the massive user base of this eCommerce platform. For retailers, vendors, and sellers on Amazon, the competition is getting tougher every day because of the platform’s inevitable crowding.
70% of Amazon visitors never click past the first page of an Amazon result, which means that if your product is not making it to the first page, you will struggle to sell your products – no matter how good it may be. The need of the hour is to engage in Amazon marketing, and in this blog, we will show you how.
Read on to learn what Amazon marketing is, why it is crucial for your business, and the Amazon business strategy you should adopt to generate maximum sales from your presence on this platform.
What is Amazon Marketing?
Amazon is a leading online platform for eCommerce where 3rd party merchants, brands, businesses, and independent retailers can sell their products and services.
The process of advertising your products and services on Amazon’s eCommerce platform is called amazon marketing. You can use unique Amazon products such as Amazon Marketing Services (AMS), Amazon Advertising Platform (AAP), and Amazon Media Group (AMG) to run paid campaigns within the platform. Advertising options include sponsored products, headline search ads, and product display ads.
Why should you invest in Amazon Marketing?
Using amazon marketing, retailers, sellers, and vendors can feature their products on the first page of Amazon search and different places within the platform. You should invest in amazon marketing because it helps you speed up your product visibility on the platform at unprecedented rates. Your products get showcased to potential customers who would not have discovered your product in the first place. This means new avenues for revenue generation and better chances of meeting your sales numbers.
Amazon Marketing Strategy: Tips & Tricks
If you are new to Amazon and want to scale your business’s reach in this eCommerce platform, you need a comprehensive amazon marketing strategy.
Here are the top three things you should incorporate in your Amazon marketing strategy:
- Amazon SEO
- Amazon Advertising
- External Promotion
Amazon Advertising Strategy #1: Amazon SEO
Did you know that 35% of Amazon shoppers click on the first product on the search page? That the first three products attract approximately 64% of the clicks? Now that you do, here are some organic means to get your product listed on the first page of an Amazon search result:
- Keyword Research and Correct Placement
- Optimize product texts and descriptions
- Use high-resolution images
- Get product reviews from happy customers
An effective Amazon SEO strategy requires that you perfect the four points we have mentioned above. We will now evaluate each point more closely.
Amazon SEO Tip #1: Keyword Research and Correct Placement
Researching and choosing the best keywords for a product is integral to Amazon SEO. Your goal here is to find the most relevant keywords for your product.
Once you identify the right keywords, the next step is to ensure that you use these keywords in the right places. Why? Because strategic keyword placement is as critical as keyword research.
Here are some best practices for keyword research and placement:
- Use your primary keyword in the product title.
- Place your keywords in your product description and bullet points.
- Integrate the generic keywords or search terms in the backend.
- Don’t abuse the keywords or use them repeatedly. It merely wastes valuable space.
- Ensure that your backend keywords do not exceed 249 bytes, as Amazon will ignore them.
Incorporating the above points for keyword research and placement will help you advance your Amazon SEO marketing strategy and improve its effectiveness. Integrating this integrated SEO approach in your Amazon business strategy will help you rank your product on Amazon and get your products discovered.
Amazon SEO Tip #2: Optimize product content
Ranking your products on Amazon is not enough if you fail to do the bare minimum of describing your product and what it can do for your users.
The 21st-century consumer is intelligent, aware, and conscious. When they look at your products, they want to know that they’re making the right choice. Including relevant product information makes it easier for them to make a purchasing decision.
Make product content optimization a critical element of our Amazon market strategy. In some cases, optimizing your product content will be enough to convince your consumer to buy from you.
Here are some best practices to follow while writing product text details:
- Outline your product’s USPs: How can your product help your customers? What are its unique USPs? Mention this information in the product description.
- Incorporate product specifications: Length, width, height, and breadth of the product.
- Talk about the durability: How long will your products last? Give an account of the product longevity in the description space.
- List out warranty details: Knowing that buying a product from you will come with warranty assurance will inspire many customers to make a purchase. This is an effective sales tactic that can help you boost your sales numbers, so make sure you mention warranty details (if any).
- Size Availability: This point is relevant for many products, including clothing, shoes, furniture, and regular day-to-day self-care products like body creams and shampoo.
- Colour Options: Is your product available in different colors? If yes, list it down here.
- Other details: Outline any additional information about your products that can help your potential customers will help you present a complete picture of your products.
Presentation matters. So make sure that you structure the above-mentioned information perfectly in the product description. A mobile-optimized approach makes for a successful Amazon corporate strategy so ensure that you optimize the product content for mobile users.
Amazon SEO Tip #3: Use high-resolution product images
Will you purchase a product from Amazon if there are no images of the product or if the product image is not clear or descriptive enough? You probably won’t. And neither will your target customers.
Because Amazon is image-driven, you should include high-resolution images of your product in your product pages to make the most of your amazon digital marketing strategy.
Here are some best practices you can incorporate for optimizing your product images:
- Take a high-resolution image of your product.
- Use a white background for your products as it showcases your product more effectively.
- The product should occupy at least 85% of the image frame to reveal more in less. The need to zoom into the product gets eliminated
when you implement this practice.
- Add images of the packaging if needed.
- If you sell furniture, mentioning the size dimension is critical. Additionally, you might also like to add images of the furniture next to a model for accurate size depiction.
- In some cases, you might also want to add images of your product.
Amazon SEO Tip #4: Get product reviews from happy customers
Being a seller on Amazon is not easy because it is an open marketplace where your customers will not hold back from showing their distaste for your product. On the contrary, if your customers love your product, there is no place like Amazon to sell your products either.
Here are some amazon promotion strategy tips you can follow to optimize your reviews:
- Identify customers who are genuinely pleased with your product and encourage them to leave a review. This will help you get free PR from happy customers.
- Ensure that negative feedback and reviews are quickly addressed. Your customers are watching you, and they will appreciate a seller who tries to quickly resolve their queries.
What customers say about a product on a platform like Amazon makes a big difference. Most of us do not buy a product if they have too many similar negative reviews. So make sure that you manage both positive and negative product reviews in real-time at the quickest turnaround time.
Additional Read: How to Remove Bad Reviews
Amazon Advertising Strategy #2: Amazon Advertising
Using different paid opportunities to market your product on Amazon is called Amazon advertising.
There are three types of amazon marketing tactics you can explore:
- Paid Advertising
- Discount Deals on Amazon
- Amazon Brand Stores
Amazon Advertising Tip #1: Paid Advertising
You can display various advertisements on Amazon’s product pages and search results by using Amazon Marketing Services (AMS). These advertisements link to your product listings within Amazon, and the ad charges are often click-based (PPC: pay per click). This is why these ads are often called Amazon PPC ads.
The Amazon PPC costs are charged per click. In other words, Amazon will charge you every time a user clicks on your Amazon paid ads.
Here are the three types of paid ads you can run with AMS:
Sponsored Products: Like Google Adwords, Amazon’s sponsored products allow sellers to bid on keywords and ad ranking to appear in Amazon’s search results. These ads can appear anywhere in the search results, product pages, or even next to the search result.
Headline Search Ads: Headline search ads are banner ads that can appear anywhere on Amazon’s search results. Just like sponsored products, these ads can be keyword-specific.
Product Display Ads: Product Display Ads generally feature below the Buy box of a product page. You can deploy them based on interest-based targeting or product-specific targeting.
You need to perfect these ads to make the most of your Amazon PPC strategy. Here are some of the best amazon ppc strategy tips you should explore to make the most of Amazon marketing:
- Use Amazon Advertising Platform (AAP): AAP is Amazon’s display advertising network and runs on an impression-based model. Your ads will be shown in the form of banners and other advertising formats within the platform and across external sites too.
- Use Amazon Media Group (AMG): AMG is Amazon’s advertising department where you get more display advertising options on Amazon’s home page. You should explore the full potential of AMG and integrate it in your amazon advertising campaign strategy as you get access to newsletter campaigns, advertising space on Amazon devices like Kindle Fire or Fire TV, and the option to get your product flyers included in parcel deliveries.
Amazon Advertising Tip #2: Discount Deals in Amazon Marketing
Whether you’re a vendor or a seller on Amazon, you can use several discount deals as part of your Amazon marketing strategy. While some are free of charge, others will cost you money.
In this section, we will discuss both discount deals.
- Sale Price (free): This is a time-limited, reduced price offer. When you use this practice, the original price will be displayed in strikethrough, and the discounted price and the total savings will be displayed to the customers.
- Promotions (free): Amazon merchants can inform their customers about sales or special discounts using various marketing and promotion tools such as percentage off, free shipping, buy one & get one free, giveaway, and social media promo codes.
- Amazon Lightning Deals(charged): Lightning deals on Amazon are a special form of discount where a product item is available for significantly reduced prices for a short time of 4-12 hours. Sellers can generate lightning deals for products that have been pre-selected or approved by Amazon. Vendors can freely select products from the product catalog for Lightning Deals.
- Coupons (charged): Coupons are displayed on Amazon’s search results, product pages, main landing page, shopping carts, and Amazon’s dedicated marketing pages. Using a coupon, sellers and vendors can offer a discount of their choice on one or more products.
Amazon Advertising Tip #3: Amazon Brand Stores
If you’re a vendor or a seller on Amazon, you can register your brand with this platform and create a unique brand store. Think of it as a personal eCommerce store within Amazon. You can present all your products and group them in your store in an appealing manner to pique audience interest.
Amazon Advertising Strategy #3: External Promotion
Your marketing effort should not be limited to Amazon’s platform alone. You can explore marketing avenues outside of Amazon to attract your target customers.
Here are some off-Amazon marketing tactics to help you drive visitors to your Amazon products page:
We will now discuss these advertising options in detail and give you valuable tips to improve your Amazon branding strategy.
Tip #1: Use Pay Per Click Advertising
You can set up a PPC ad on Google’s search engines to drive website traffic back to your product page on Amazon. The best part about PPC ads is that they’re highly targeted and optimized for search terms. Using it, you can target audiences who are in the advanced stage of their buying journey.
Did you Know: Techmagnate also offers complete expertise in PPC services.
Tip #2: Engage in Email Marketing
If you have an email list of current and past customers, then shoot them an email announcing your latest product offering on Amazon. Emailers are a fantastic off-Amazon marketing tactic that can help you drive quality traffic back to your product page on Amazon.
Tip #3: Explore Affiliate Marketing
Collaborating with affiliates is another effective way of attracting potential customers to your Amazon product page. All you have to do is partner with an affiliate who will endorse your product on their blog or website for free. Each time you make a sale through their website, you give them a small cut.
Tip #4: Deal Sites / Coupons
You can publish your Amazon coupon codes on trusted coupon sites. The coupons can be redeemed on Amazon by your users, which will lead to more sales.
Tip #5: Make the most of Social Media
Incorporating social media in your Amazon marketing plan can help you leverage the full potential of this social platform. There is no place like social media for growing your business, building brand awareness, and engaging your audience. Use your social media handles to announce a new product launch, ongoing discounts, and clearance sales, then direct them to your amazon product pages.
What are the advantages of Amazon Marketing?
Now that we have discussed the intricacies of an effective Amazon marketing strategy, we will now look at the potential benefits of engaging in this marketing practice.
Read on to learn how Amazon marketing can be of use to you:
Benefit 1: Amazon ads can improve your overall rankings
Amazon’s A9 algorithm decides which products will feature on the first page of an Amazon search result. Your product’s title, its click-through rate (CTR), conversion rate, verified reviews, and a combination of other factors together will dictate your product’s overall ranking.
One advertisement is all it takes to place your products at the top of the first page of an Amazon search result. Once you appear on the first page, your CTR will go up, and so will your conversions.
In other words, Amazon ads can help you dramatically boost your CTR and conversion rate. Since Amazon’s algorithm does not distinguish how a click is earned or how conversions are made, you can quickly scale your account’s overall ranking by investing in these ads.
Benefit 2: Amazon ads attract more visibility to your products
Did you know that 70% of Amazon visitors never click past the first page of an Amazon result?
This means that if your product does not appear on the first page of an Amazon search, your product runs the risk of not being seen. No views mean no sales. This is something that you cannot afford. Even if people find your product on the third or fourth search result and view it, the chances of making a sale stand dramatically low because of low product visibility.
By investing in paid ads on Amazon, you can rapidly attract and scale the total number of views on your products as it places your products in front of more people.
Benefit 3: Amazon ads help you increase your sales
Amazon is a competitive eCommerce platform. It is crowded and difficult to penetrate, especially if you’re new to selling your products on the platform. Exploring Amazon’s paid advertising options can help your business perform better in a short time.
Through amazon ads come better placement of your products. Strategic product placement brings with it more product visibility, which inevitably results in more sales.
The goal of any competitive business is to make sales and scale it to unformidable heights. By deploying Amazon marketing, independent sellers can achieve their sales targets with utmost certainty.
In this blog, we have done a comprehensive review of Amazon marketing, introduced you to its benefits, and explored how to optimize your amazon marketing strategy to scale your sales numbers. We have shared some helpful Amazon PPC tips to help you get started.
If you would like to run PPC advertisements or run email marketing campaigns to drive traffic to your Amazon products, feel free to reach out and call us on this number: +91-9910308266. A member of our sales team will get in touch with you at the earliest opportunity.
We hope that this blog has helped you make sense of the platform and the many avenues you can explore to drive traffic to your unique product page on this leading eCommerce platform.
Drop a comment if this blog was helpful. Let us know what you’d like to read next on our blog! We look forward to hearing from you.