SEO Your Joomla!
November 21, 2012
Now that you have chosen Joomla! as your choice of CMS, you need to keep in mind that Joomla! is not as search engine friendly than you thought. A Joomla! website does not generate search-engine friendly URLs, but instead create distorted URLs.
You need to follow a few steps in order to get your Joomla! website into a position where it performs convincingly when it comes to on-page SEO.
Here are a few tips that will help you sail through easily:
1. Choosing the right type of server is crucial For profitability and succinctness sake, and to save yourself from the endless issues, just set up on Apache server with mod_rewrite installed.
2. Install JCE Editor Its two main advantages are that you can instruct the JCE Editor not to strip code that you add and also that it has a really great interface through which images can be added easily.
3. Rename htaccess.txt to .htaccess
4. Change the default database prefix (jos_)
5. Set the “Search Engine Friendly URLs” and “Use URL Rewriting” options to “Yes”
6. Remove the following line from your robots.txt file: /images/
7. Alt Tags and Image Dimensions should be used
8. Correct your canonical problem manually via your .htaccess file.
9. Link consistently to internal content.
10. Speed up your website by turning on Gzip Compression and Joomla Cache
It is of vital importance that you make sure all the 10 boxes are checked so that you have your Joomla website right at the place where it needs to be!